Save Mount Diablo
1901 Olympic Blvd, Suite 320, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Founded in 1971, Save Mount Diablo, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt, California nonprofit corporation, and nationally accredited land trust, acquires and preserves land on and around Mount Diablo in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced fundraising professional to help donors fulfill their passions and interests by leveraging the successful completion of our current capital campaign and to further develop a robust major gifts and planned giving programs.
This is a Full-Time, exempt position that reports to the Development Director.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Utilize moves management and standard development principles to directly identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual major donors, planned gift donors, foundation donors and other major gift prospects.
- Responsible for all major gift and planned giving fundraising revenue activities, including communications, major donor event strategy and income/ expense budget projections.
- Strengthen and expand the planned giving program to secure gifts from financial planning and deferred giving methods.
- Manage a personal portfolio of approximately 75-100 major and planned gift prospects.
- In concert with the Executive Director, provide leadership for the completion of SMD’s Forever Wild Campaign while utilizing the campaign to lay the foundation for a strong major donor program.
- Partner with land department leadership to share information, develop integrated strategies and achieve clear communication across the organization, particularly with SMD’s programmatic efforts.
- Engage board, development committee, and other leadership volunteers in various aspects of major gift fundraising.
- Identify and provide opportunities for donor/leadership engagement, in coordination with Development Team.
- Contribute to the overall leadership of the organization as a member of the senior management team.
- Represent SMD with external audiences.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- 5 or more years of major gifts experience as a fundraising professional with demonstrated growth and increasing responsibility.
- Proven ability to successfully identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual, corporate and foundation donors and sustain long term relationships with donors.
- Strong interest in conservation and SMD’s mission.
- Ability to contribute to the development of strategic programs and initiatives that build the fundraising capacity of the organization.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Strong networking/interpersonal relationship skills.
- Strong team player who is positive and supportive of team members.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Experience with donor management and prospect research tools required.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, masters degree preferred.
- 5 or more years of major gifts fundraising experience
- Possess valid California driver’s license and clean driving record with active insurance
- Daily access to a motor vehicle
- The employee is frequently required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Employee must be able to travel to external meetings.
- Employee must also be able to hike, occasionally in steep and/or rugged terrain and in inclement weather.
- Dependent on Experience.
- Health, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan
- Send your cover letter, resume, and a list of references to: email@example.com
- Please include your name and the job title (“Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving”) in the subject line of your email.